Congratulations on Your New Puppy!
We love puppies at Van Meter Veterinary Clinic and cannot wait to welcome your new puppy into our family!
The lifetime of love and strong bond you will share with your dog begins the day you bring your puppy home. Getting a puppy is an exciting time but there are certain essentials you will need to know to ensure your new puppy remains fit and healthy. We know you probably have a few questions and concerns about your new puppy, and all of us here at Van Meter Veterinary Clinic are here to provide you with all the information you need to enjoy your puppy to the fullest!
Your Puppy’s First Wellness Exam
When you bring your puppy home, please schedule an appointment with one of our veterinarians for your puppy’s first wellness exam. This initial visit’s exam includes a thorough “nose-to-tail” physical and dental evaluation, allowing us to establish an individualized wellness care program for your puppy going forward, including proper vaccinations, parasite protection and proper nutrition.
Your puppy’s first exam will give us the opportunity to learn your expectations as a client and a pet owner. We are happy to address all your questions and/or concerns about puppy and puppy care in general during any puppy wellness exam.
When you first get your puppy, remember to ask what and when he or she was fed. Please feel your puppy the same food and replicate the feeding schedule until your first puppy visit with us. We will discuss your puppy’s breed, anticipated lifestyle, and nutritional needs with you during your first puppy visit.
Your Puppy’s First Visit Includes:
- A thorough “nose to tail” exam
- A customized vaccination program dependent on your puppy’s age and lifestyle
- Heartworm prevention recommendations
- Internal (fecal analysis) and external parasite screening and prevention
- Intestinal parasite deworming (as needed)
- Medical recommendations for preventing and controlling fleas and ticks
- Housetraining and behavioral consultation
- Nutritional and exercise guidance
When visiting with your new puppy for the first time, please bring the following with you:
- Your puppy on a leash and a fresh stool sample
- Any prior health records that you received when you brought your puppy home, such as history of vaccines, deworming, neutering, past medical history, etc.